Thursday, September 18, 2008

Abstraction Exercise

For class we had to do an abstraction exercise, for example when someone says the word rage: i think of angry old man, then next image is an old man waiting in line at McDonalds. For our assignment, I believe we could choose an abstraction and type a poem from it, or draft a short story begining. I chose to do the poem, for the abstraction i decided to use two words that in my mind were related to my poem. I used Aggravation and Frustration. The poem I have will be reviewed in class I'm sure, but it has to do with when you're younger and learning to tie your shoes.
On another note, I have started to read some interesting short stories in my Science Fiction/ Fantasy class. I am an english writing major, but I have never been one to read. So picking up books and short stories of this genre for the first time in years is new and exciting. Soon I will be starting the book, "Neverwhere" written by Neil Gaiman. He has also written books that are more popular like "The Sandman". He is a writter on the rise. He is becoming one of the most popular sci-fi writers of our day. To check out a list of his books, his bio, or even where his appearences are, check out : http://www.neilgaiman.com/

1 comment:

A Quinlan said...

great start. I'll add you to the list when my mac is working again. AQ